Latin Lawyer is pleased to present its Pro Bono Award to the clearing houses and lawyers that led the coordinated pro bono response to the powerful earthquake in Mexico last September.
Immediately after Mexico’s devastating 7.1 magnitude earthquake, members of the legal community responded quickly to help the shaken country back on its feet.
The key people behind the initiative are:
- Carla Román from Fundación Barra Mexicana
- Ivette Montero from Centro Mexicano Pro Bono
- Maru Cortazar, Natalia Alvarado and Mariana Varque from Appleseed
- Lila Gasca from Hogan Lovells (Mexico)
- Elba Gutiérrez from Greenberg Traurig SC
- Julio Copo from Basham, Ringe y Correa.
The three clearing houses put together a team of firms and independent lawyers to identify priorities for the people affected by the earthquake and an online form was made available for those affected to request pro bono assistance.
They put together a legal handbook containing advice for those affected by the disaster.